Magento announced yesterday that Magento Mobile native applications will be shutting down on November 1, 2015. This gives Magento and merchants the opportunity to focus on responsive design and the Software Development Kit for mobile needs. These options are more efficient ways of building a better mobile experience through Magento.
Magento stated, “Magento Mobile applications will continue to operate as they do currently, and merchants and developers can continue to make standard modifications (color, logo, naming, etc.) to applications as normal,” until the following shutdowns take place:
Magento Mobile Shutdown Timeline
September 1, 2015
- Magento will stop accepting new bug fix requests
October 1, 2015
- Magento will stop accepting new app look and feel change requests
November 1, 2015
- Magento will delete all mobile applications that remain in Magento’s Apple iTunes and Google Play accounts, and those accounts will close.
- Apps will no longer be available for download by new users
- Apps will not be able to be transferred to a personal developer account to enable or disable the app
- Code changes using the Magento Mobile source code will not be possible
- All Magento Mobile support will be terminated
- Downloads of the Magento Mobile source code will cease.
- Magento suggests that organizations transfer their application to a personal developer account and purchase the Magento Mobile source code to maintain mobile strategy into the future.
Going forward, Magento will offer the responsive design template found in Community 1.9.1 or later and Enterprise 1.14.1 or later, as using responsive design and starting with a mobile display when building an eCommerce site is a great strategy to avoid pitfalls in the future.
Another mobile offering from Magento is the Software Development Kit that was announced with the release of Enterprise 1.14.2. The new SDK looks to improve the process of creating iOS apps, as it allows for communication between Magento and iOS devices. It also has a library of resources that make development both easier and quicker.
For more specifics and solutions, visit the Magento Mobile Shutdown FAQs page.
If your company needs assistance developing or updating your mobile experience using the SDK, contact our talented team of Magento developers.