Justifying a JDE World Upgrade When “Everything is Working Fine”
Due to its stability and reliability, companies that are running JD Edwards World software have usually been on the platform for many years, sometimes even decades. It can be hard to justify an upgrade when “everything is working fine,” but there are many benefits to upgrading beyond simply performance. We have compiled a list of the top reasons for upgrading to a newer version of World according to our customers:
- New Applications for Competitive Advantage: The latest version of JDE World has new and enhanced features and applications that are not available in older versions of World. These new applications can help eliminate manual or custom-coded processes and drive the business forward.
- Functional Enhancements: Oracle/JDE has enhanced the capabilities of the existing applications in the existing JDE World software. These updates improve the capabilities of existing applications and improve the overall capabilities of the platform.
- Technical Improvements/Web Enablement: The new features and capabilities here are a vast improvement of the A7.3 and A8.1 versions. The file upload/download process and the web enablement features are both significantly improved and deliver greater adoption across the user community.
- Support for Tax and Regulatory Compliance: Upgrading your version of JDE allows you to keep up to date with the latest tax and compliance releases from Oracle/JDE.
- Mergers and Acquisitions: A merger is often the impetus for a software upgrade or a rollout of the software to new divisions. This can often lead to the need for a common platform or new features that were not previously enabled, but can be provided with an upgrade.
- Elimination of Custom Code: An upgrade can often reduce or eliminate custom code. As new features are added to the base JDE World offering, they frequently replace commonly custom-coded processes.
- Business Process Reengineering: Reengineering of business process can also trigger an upgrade. Changing business processes and eliminating manual steps often requires new features found in a more current release of the software. These two are typically combined into one project.
Even if your JDE World software is “working fine,” there are significant benefits to upgrading that can justify the undertaking. If you are on the fence about an upgrade, take a look at this list to see if any of these worthwhile reasons apply to your situation.